Best hospital test if sent for investigation

If you have rectal bleeding or a change of bowel habit - key symptoms which should be investigated if you are over 50 and they persist for three or more weeks - and you are being referred to hospital for investigation, ask if you can have a "flexible sigmoidoscopy". It's a short colonoscopy which takes 5 minutes, should not be painful and it's safe. Lynn has made a video of her own "Flexible Sigmoidoscopy" which is in Our Helpful Videos on the Home Page.

If you do see your GP with what you think are key symptoms and you are not being referred to hospital, ask if the GP can feel your tummy for any possible lumps and give you a blood test. Men with anaemia - and women especially after the menopause. People with borderline, low level anaemia and bowel symptoms should also be investigated.

Our videos